Monday, August 15, 2016





Taco Burger

I am a huge fan of tacos, and whenever I can incorporate or fuse taco flavors with any other dishes, I am all over it:  pizza, salads, pasta and now, burgers!  I decided to incorporate my Mexican spice blend with fresh aromatics and some of my favorite things, peppers, chiles, bacon and cheese. What could be better?  Here is how I made this incredibly savory, flavorful and filling burger.  

Ingredients for the burger patties
1 pound 90/10 lean ground sirloin
1 pound ground chuck
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
2 Fresno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
2 rounded tablespoons of my Mexican Spice Blend*
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo
Oaxaca or Provolone Cheese
4 fire roasted green chiles, seeded and stemmed


My Mexican Spice Blend*:
2 rounded tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 rounded teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon chile molido or chipotle powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion or onion powder

I add the spices to a small skillet and toast until fragrant.  I add the spices to my spice grinder and grind until fine.  

If this is too much and time is not your friend, you could add a packet of your favorite store-bought Taco seasoning.  I won't be offended.  

Mix the meat with your hands, twisting and turning the hamburger to incorporate the fresh aromatics and spices. Press the mixed meat down into a bowl and score it with your hands to denote how many burgers you will be making.  


Set the meat aside to allow the flavors to infiltrate the hamburger meat.  In the meantime, add several slices of bacon to a skillet over medium-high heat.  I happened upon quite a find at the store for this:  jalapeno spiced bacon (Hormel brandTM) but you could use whatever thick cut bacon you wish.  You could spice it up with chipotle powder.  Fry up the bacon and cool on a rack or paper towel.  Remove most of the bacon fat (save it for something later!) and place the skillet back on the burner over high heat.  



Add the burgers to the skillet and allow to sear for five minutes per side for 1/3 pound burgers, or seven minutes per side for large burgers.  Mine were large. 


Next, add a fire roasted green chile or chiles to each burger. 


Top the chiles with cheese.  



Next add bacon and top the bacon with more cheese.  Pictured above it provolone.  I love Oaxaca and wish I'd had that on hand, but provolone melts so well.  

Toast the burger buns and add your favorite condiments, such as mustard and mayo or maybe create a chipotle aioli (like I did) to slather on the bottom bun.  In addition, place about one quarter cup of sliced pickled jalapenos to a small plate or bowl to also top the burgers with.  I making this all sound much more complicated than it is, but trust me, this burger is a true winner all the way around!

Assemble your burger any way you wish.  Please enjoy the assembled burger photos below!





Thank You for your visit, friends!  Always grateful for your readership!

Now, Please go cook something for someone you love!




No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...